The City of Watervliet is located in southwest Michigan, approximately 15 miles east of the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor metropolitan area, in Berrien County and 35 miles west of Kalamazoo, MI. The region is known as the “Fruitbelt of Michigan” due to the many fruit farms, vineyards, and wineries that dot the area. The school district serves approximately 1,500 PreK-12 students with South Elementary enrollment of approximately 340 students.
Watervliet Schools have developed a tradition of earning awards for strong academic performance that exceeds statistical expectations. In 2015, WHS was named Academic State Champions by Bridge Magazine. In 2018, WHS earned the prestigious America’s Best High Schools designation by U.S. News and World Reports. The district also has long-standing, successful traditions in athletics and the arts
Watervliet Public Schools has developed a new Strategic Plan for the district during the 2021-22 school year. The new South Elementary principal will have an outstanding opportunity to develop an innovative, future-focused culture that leads the region in preparing our students.
- M.A. Degree in Education with an emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Experience in education, with a minimum of 5 years of teaching; former administrative experience is preferred
- Meets certification requirements for Building-Level Leadership, as defined by the Michigan Department of Education, or through a reciprocity agreement
Preferred Personal and Professional Competencies
- A history of demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains.
- Proven ability as an effective instructional leader and developer of Professional Learning Communities.
- Personally ambitious, and growth-oriented and develops a growth mindset in others
- A results-driven educational leader with experience in, and commitment to Standards-based Teaching and Learning and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
- A highly visible and approachable leader with excellent communication skills within a diverse community of teachers, parents, students, and community stakeholders
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- Proficient in the use of technology; including student information systems, financial software, assessment systems, and data warehouses
Major Job Responsibilities
The major job responsibilities are articulated in the 2021 Watervliet South Elementary School Principal Profile as attached to this posting.
To be considered as a candidate, please apply online at Hire Enterprise - Berrien County Schools Consortium at https://ats4.searchsoft.net/ats/app_login?COMPANY_ID=JA000561.
Include a letter of application/resume, three letters of reference, and a copy of your transcripts, and or credentials.
Deadline for applying: August 1, 2021, at 11:59 PM
Starting Date: No later than September 1, 2021.
Salary & Benefits: A highly competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the selected candidate based on skills and experience
It is the policy of the Watervliet Public Schools that no person shall, on the basis of sex, religion, age, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, weight, height, or handicap be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in employment or any of its programs or activities.
CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
In accordance with state law and board policy, no person shall be hired to work in contact with children prior to being fingerprinted and passing a criminal records review.