The City of Watervliet is located in southwest Michigan, approximately 15 miles east of the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor metropolitan area, in Berrien County and 35 miles west of Kalamazoo, MI. The school district serves approximately 1,500 PreK-12 students with grades 9-12 high school enrollment of approximately 440.
Watervliet High School has developed a tradition of earning awards for strong academic performance that exceeds statistical expectations. In 2015, WHS was named Academic State Champions by Bridge Magazine. In 2018, WHS earned the prestigious America’s Best High Schools designation by U.S. News and World Reports. The district also has long-standing, successful traditions in athletics and the arts
- Elementary Education teaching certificate (and a ZA or ZS endorsement preferred)
- Must be Highly Qualified per Michigan Department of Education Standards
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with young children, parents, staff, administration, and the general public
Preferred Personal and Professional Competencies
- Passion for working with young children in a collaborative environment
- Organized, capable, and able to multitask
- Desire to grow professionally
Major Job Responsibilities
- Use research-based instructional strategies to teach assigned subjects to students according to the curriculum plan
- Coordinate with the 2nd Grade Professional Learning Community (PLC) to maintain consistency in curriculum delivery, analyze student data, and make instructional decisions for students
- Create and maintain a positive, structured, caring, supportive, and safe learning environment for students
- Develop positive parent-teacher relationships and promote parent teacher partnerships
- Communicate with parents to keep them informed of classroom activities and their child’s progress
- Accommodate various learning styles and instructional strategies to meet the needs of special student populations
- Maintain accurate attendance and grade records for each student
- Utilize various assessment tools to evaluate student progress
- Monitor student activities in and around the school to ensure the safety of every student in the classroom and on school grounds
- Set professional growth goals and attend professional development opportunities to work towards meeting those goals
- Complies with School Board policies and all state/federal regulations
To be considered as a candidate, please apply online at Hire Enterprise - Berrien County Schools Consortium at https://ats4.searchsoft.net/ats/app_login?COMPANY_ID=JA000561.
Include a letter of application/resume, three letters of reference, and a copy of your transcripts, and or credentials.
Deadline for applying: August 2, 2021, or until filled
Starting Date: August 2021
Salary & Benefits: Per teacher’s labor agreement
It is the policy of the Watervliet Public Schools that no person shall, on the basis of sex, religion, age, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, weight, height, or handicap be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in employment or any of its programs or activities.
CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
In accordance with state law and board policy, no person shall be hired to work in contact with children prior to being fingerprinted and passing a criminal records review.