The City of Watervliet is located in southwest Michigan, approximately 15 miles east of the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor metropolitan area, in Berrien County and 35 miles west of Kalamazoo, MI. The school district serves approximately 1,500 PreK-12 students.
Watervliet High School has developed a strong reputation as a safe and high-achieving, successful high school. The school consistently scores at the 80th percentile or higher among peer schools across the state and enjoys excellent community and parent support. The school serves approximately 450 students in Grades 9-12. Watervliet High School has been named Academic State Champions by the prestigious Bridge Magazine and has been honored repeatedly by USA News and World Reports as among the nation’s “Top High Schools”.
- Valid Michigan Teacher Certificate or ability to acquire one upon application
- Bachelor Degree in English Education
- Must be Highly Qualified Status per Michigan Department of Education Standards
Preferred Personal and Professional Competencies
- 3-5 years of teaching experience
- Organized, capable, and able to multitask
- Experience with Yearbook and other publications
Major Job Responsibilities
- Create daily lesson plans that are engaging, educational, and exciting for the kids, encouraging them to want to come to school.
- Deliver lesson plans in a way that catches the attention of the students and keeps them occupied and excited about learning.
- Reach school and course-wide performance goals for every student in class.
- Watch closely for students who are struggling with emotional problems, learning disabilities, or situations at home, and help them find the resources they need.
- Grade papers and homework regularly to keep students updated on how they are doing and to head any problems off before they become habits.
- Increase educational knowledge and stay up to date on new methods by joining professional organizations, attending continuing education courses, and attending regular training sessions for teachers.
- Weave goals, competencies, and objectives into lesson plans in ways that directly apply to the student’s life.
- Offer praise and encouragement to students when they do well and when they are struggling, and teach them that they have the power to do well in school no matter what.
- Participate in ongoing training sessions.
- Utilize district curricula that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
- Develop incentives to keep participants in class.
- Develop professional relationships with other agencies and programs.
- Work with program coordinators to ensure initiatives are being met.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare and distribute required reports
To be considered as a candidate, please apply online at Hire Enterprise - Berrien County Schools Consortium at Berrien County Schools Consortium, and click on the Certified link on the right of the page.
Include a letter of application/resume, three letters of reference, and a copy of your transcripts, and or credentials.
Deadline for applying: January 22, 2021
Starting Date: As soon as possible after a job offer
Salary & Benefits: Per WEA Master Agreement based on experience and credentials
It is the policy of the Watervliet Public Schools that no person shall, on the basis of sex, religion, age, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, weight, height, or handicap be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in employment or any of its programs or activities.
CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
In accordance with state law and board policy, no person shall be hired to work in contact with children prior to being fingerprinted and passing a criminal records review.